Tuesday, January 02, 2007

(Send for me and take me,)

I wrote this poem while I was still in college, possibly as early as freshman year (1998-99) in my junior year, like the copyright notice says. It's one of a very few of my poems that are really prayers, and since I found myself praying it tonight, it seemed like an apropos post.

Send for me and take me,
take my soul, it's crouching low
but it is calling you to take it,
and to bend it like a bow that will not break
unless you let it, 'less you make it --
make it so:
send for me and take me,
though I'm hiding, crouching low.
This text © 2002 John David Robinson, all rights reserved. Duplication prohibited without written consent.

3 comments:

alissa said...

i'm trying not to be the first/only one to comment here.

John David Robinson said...

I think the key to that might be to find a hundred more people to read my blog regularly. ;)

(Or, failing that, to find at least one person who's willing to break the ice occasionally.)

alissa said...

ok, so you can work on readership. my comment about this poem is that i really like. not as much as the last one, but i still really like it. it reminds me strongly of poe. the imbedded rhymes and repetition feels like poe's "the bells" which is one of the most amazing poems to me (i had to memorize and recite part of it in 9th grade and it was exhilarating).

so for that reason, i think it's really well done and i enjoy this one! i dare you to try and post a poem that i don't like.